Engaging magazine design is a studied balance of content, typography, color, composition and images. Creating this visual communication effectively takes skill and experience to produce impressive issues for readers as well as advertisers. Four Palms delivers beautiful publication design and magazine layouts with impact to make your magazine a compelling must-read.
Advertising and editorial should work together to maximize the impact of both: the right editorial content attracts readers, and readers attract advertisers.
We design our publications to reflect that by focusing on a targeted demographic and creating appropriate editorial environments for advertiser messages.
Four Palms can assist you with all facets of magazine advertising including:
• Identify and target your
• learn to spot opportunities
for new revenue streams,
advertorials and special
• Motivate your sales team
• Fair rates for your market
• How/when to discount rates
• Simplify your rate sheets
• Media kits
• Effective sales flyers
• Showcase your advertisers
• Create a cohesive flow of
advertising throughout the
Four Palms brings extensive knowledge and experience to the process of re-imagining and refreshing your publication. We analyze the existing publication and give solid, real world solutions to make it more appealing to both readers and advertisers. These solutions could range from simple, like design tweaks, to a complete redesign. We can consult with your team on improvements, create templates and style sheets for them to work from, or assume the design and production completely.
Some redesign considerations:
Is your content serving your readers? Magazines succeed editorially when readers can relate to them but also learn something new and different. Perhaps new sections or updated departments are called for.
Is the content compelling visually? Give the visual side a distinct identity by using stronger colors and bolder graphics, or go understated with lots of white space for a cleaner, more contemporary approach.
Does the advertising compete with the editorial to distraction? We'll show you how to organize and place advertising to its best advantage in the publication.
Too many ad sizes? This creates visual chaos. Simplify your rate card and your life.
Are the page designs too bland or gray? Use effective type treatments and white space as a design element to add impact to pages.
Is the visual identity vague? Set a framework for the look of the magazine that readers can grasp immediately; make formatting, headings and basic structure of the publication as simple and direct as possible.
In developing new publications, Four Palms can help:
• Define an editorial mission. This is key to determining the publication’s “personality”.
• Create a logo/masthead that will identify and brand your magazine
• Clearly define the focus of the magazine and create an appropriate graphic identity
• Develop a variety of sections to keep readers interested and stimulate advertising
• Organize the sections in a magazine layout that is reader-friendly and optimizes content
• Establish design consistency with type and graphic elements to orient readers
• Vary the page designs, especially features, to increase the reader appeal
• Create “entry points” in page layouts that draw the reader in
• Layout advertising and editorial in synergistic harmony
Four Palms has extensive experience with start-ups and can help get a new title on the right track to success. We can create media kits and sales/marketing materials and help develop an editorial product that gets attention from readers and advertisers.